Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: How to make a lacy top!



I had this extremely large piece of old lace, that was the remnants of an old curtain that my Nan gave to me. I decided that with the start of spring, I would make a lacy top/vest.  



I cut a quick and easy pattern off a top that had the shape I was looking for. The sleeves didn't interest me, and so I just made a sleeveless version! Once I had my pattern ready, I pinned and cut out the pieces (One back piece, and two front pieces). 


It was then a simple job to sew up the side seams and across the top shoulder section. Don't sew the armholes together! (This didn't happen to me, but I did go to pin them together accidentally. Whoops!) 



Then, just to make it more interesting, I cut and sewed the scalloped edge of the lace to the bottom of the sewn top. 



The next part involves folding over and under the raw edges around the neckline, front pieces and armholes and sewing this up to create a nice finish!




After a quick iron, I was all done! This was a quick project, I think it took me under two hours (including tea breaks!). Next time I will cut the pattern bigger for a more relaxed fit. I'm glad I still have lace leftover!





No comments:

Post a Comment